The Sage Business Objects Interface, or BOI, is a developer tool that third-party developers, business associates and in-house IT staff can use to access Sage software databases and develop applications. The interface provides a consistent Application Programming Interface, or API, that works with a range of programming languages including VB.net, VBScript, C#, C++ and others.  Third-party developers can retrieve data and run validation routines without changing the underlying code.
Learning how to use one business object--such as a Sales Order--means that developers can use them all including a Customer or General Ledger Journal Entry Business Object. That makes it easy to automate many processes without writing new code.
The Sage BOI makes it possible to use Visual Basic scripting to modify MAS 200 or MAS 90 programs, which are now called Sage 100. That means staff can change details--such as an expiration date--without writing custom code. Without the latest version of BOI, making two or more changes or adding enhancements can render the underlying code useless, which effectively limits any company to the outmoded version of MAS.
The Benefits of Integration with Sage BOI
Sage eCommerce always offered a version of BOI in its ERP software, but product manuals were only available to those who took a class. Even developers who received manuals couldn't always decipher the instructions. However, that oversight has been corrected, and coherent manuals are included in MAS 90 and MAS 200 4+. Any competent developer can now perform many actions using BOI including enhancements, upgrades and integrating third-party applications. Some of the key benefits of integration with Sage BOI include:
- Price quotes may be set automatically to expire on a certain date--usually 90 days from the date of the quote. The BOI enables setting discounts, price markups, custom quotes, sales history management, lot pricing and other quote-related services.
Simplified Building of Complex Tables
- Developers can organize complex tables using simple data-retrieval methods without involving the user interface. Authorized third-party associates can access the data validation formulas without needing to modify the source code.
Tracking Salary Changes
- In Sage Enterprise Management People, the software has a built-in feature for tracking salary changes of any employee.
Technical Sheet Analysis
- It might be necessary to perform a technical sheet analysis before authorizing a production run. Built-in control functionality allows blocking production until the analysis is completed and approved.
- Sage integration gives integrated access to third-party software products that save time and money and provide a better user experience for website visitors.
Third-party Application Development
- B2B companies often choose to create custom portals or proprietary apps that help customers place orders, search more efficiently, receive relevant product recommendations and manage the ordering process on their small-screened phones. Third-party app development is one of the biggest benefits of the Sage Business Objects Interface.
Using APIs to Integrate Sage Software
APIs are the primary method of integrating Sage erp with other business applications.  APIs enable data-sharing between internal business systems and different organizations. The structure protects internal systems from data breaches because security protocols validate the data before it’s accepted into the internal systems. APIs provide a tremendous development shortcut and reduce the need to re-enter data laboriously. They are essential tools for the best system architectures and provide numerous advantages to both customers and in-house staff such as the design of customer online services and the dissemination of data throughout a business enterprise.
Connecting with Clarity
Clarity Connect was specifically designed to connect your business applications to your web store and operating software. The company believes in the value of long-term collaborative relationships, so the team won’t try to push technology that you don’t need or aren’t ready to operate. Modular development is one of the company’s core operating principles, so you only pay for what you need and can add modules as business grows. Clarity Connect uses all the development resources available to reduce costs such as Sage’s BOI, customer portals and Visual Integrator as well as open-source development frameworks.
 Erpvar.com: Sage 100 ERP (formerly MAS90): How To Use the Business Object Interface
 Handshake.com: Sage Integration: What Businesses Need to Know