HIPAA Compliance for Your Website
HIPAA compliance is a serious matter for any business or organization that handles sensitive patient data. This data, if handled or stored in any way by a business, has to be controlled in very specific ways to protect the confidentiality of patients. Clarity has built HIPAA compliant websites and applications for hospitals, law firms, and other companies that require it.
Information that is protected by HIPAA:
- "[i]s created or received by a health care provider, health plan, public health authority, employer, life insurer, school or university, or health care clearinghouse"; and
- "[r]elates to the past, present, or future physical or mental health or condition of an individual; the provision of health care to an individual; or the past, present, or future payment for the provision of health care to an individual."
The entity list above (health care provider, health plan, public health authority, employer, life insurer, school or university, or health care clearinghouse) includes a wide variety of different organizations that require HIPAA compliance on their site or patient portal. This compliance is intimately related to a company's website or online/mobile application, and security should be top-of-mind for these professionals.
The Requirements of a HIPAA Compliant Website
- Is always encrypted as it is transmitted over the Internet
- Is not lost, i.e. should be backed up and can be recovered
- Is only accessible by authorized personnel
- Is not tampered with or altered
- Should be encrypted if it is being stored or archived
- Can be permanently disposed of when no longer needed
Advantages of HIPAA Compliance with Clarity
- Working with Fortune 500s to startups since 2006
- 350+ clients and 650+ projects completed
- Many successful HIPAA compliant websites and projects completed
- Microsoft Partner
- Over 300 years of combined experience on our development staff
- Experience with ASP.NET, PHP, C#, VB, Ruby, HTML and other language based sites
The Importance of a HIPAA Compliant Site
The consequences of not securing sensitive patient data online can be severe. For example, Idaho State University recently settled a HIPAA security case for $400,000 because the school was said to have breached the security of 17,500 individuals' information. This is just one example of the potential impact to a business or other organization that is not compliant with HIPAA regulations.
Clarity and Compliance
Clarity's team of developers has experience developing new websites that fit into HIPAA compliance and applying the regulation rules to existing sites. This is helpful for clients that have an existing site that is satisfactory, but lacks regulation considerations. For either of these situations, Clarity also provides HIPAA compliant web hosting for the website.
Clarity offers a free phone consultation from our experts in order to discuss your company's needs and how they can be addressed. To take advantage of this free consultation you can fill out the form at the bottom of the page or you can call us directly at the number below.