RMAs for Differing Expectations
Managing Expectations for Better Interactions
Sometimes an order is disputed, so it’s helpful to have a chat function, pictures, and a facilitated interaction between the vendor, seller, and buyer. There can also be an intermediate customer service representative who’s helping to interact between the parties, or there can be an automated process that gets them to talk and review via chat so they can discuss the state of the order.
- “Hey, you sent me the wrong item; this doesn't work.”
- “The tolerances are off on these items.”
- “This diamond doesn't have the level of clarity that is documented.”
—Or whatever the various issues might be. And one response might be,
- “Here's what we received. Your order is this, which is what we sent. It sounds like we did our part. We sent you as indicated what you ordered.”
While another response could be,
- “I see the problem. We’ll ship you a replacement and won’t charge you as long as you send that one back within a week.”
It’s crucial to be able to manage the actual order that was sent versus what the customer is expecting. Pictures can be helpful, as well as chatting back and forth over a chat tool, or just using email that’s connected to a chat inside the marketplace.