Importance of Adding Forums and Communities to DotNetNuke Websites
Does Your Website Need a DNN Forum Module?
When you are just starting to set up your website, you may be wondering what DNN modules you need. This is normal since there are so many on the market, and it may be difficult to choose. But we are here to help you. A forum module is a necessity for most dnn websites. Read on to find out if yours needs one and some of our favorites.
Having a forum module can add a lot to your website. But it can also be meaningless if it’s not done right. Here are some things to keep in mind when considering a forum section for your website.
Provide Purpose and Value
A forum helps customers and members build relationships, find answers to questions, and interact with one another. If your blog doesn’t have a comment section, a forum module is a requirement. The forum will deliver value and purpose beyond your normal content. If these are missing, then serious problems can arise. These include:
- Emptiness: This happens when your forum is open and visible, but no one uses it to engage with others. There are only a few posts, no active conversations, and no one knows what they should talk about.
- Lost credibility: A side effect of the emptiness, an inactive forum can make people question your credibility. People will wonder whether you knew what you were doing when you integrated the forum.
- Lost members: If people don’t feel they are receiving value from your forum, they might reconsider using it.
To avoid these problems, think about why you want to add a forum to your site. Does it provide additional value? If so, what is this value? Provide a new way for people to have conversations with others, and discuss the content your blog provides.
Empower End-User Communication
Besides offering a clear purpose and delivering value, a dnn website forum can help you achieve what other digital communication tools can’t. If your comments are turned on, you should still be using a forum module. Comments are only for scratching the surface. It isn’t a space where enthusiasts can discuss techniques, questions, goals, and other wider topics.
A forum is an effective way for members of your community to meet, discuss, and encourage one another in different ways. It’s a gateway to interesting conversations. A good sign to integrate a forum module is frustration with the existing communication tools. So, if you notice people needing space for discussions, it is time to open a forum.
Engage With Your Community
As the administrator, you will have to actively monitor and moderate the posts. You may also be publishing entries and responding to questions from people too. Are you ready for the commitment requires? Before adding a forum to your site, consider whether you will need to:
- Use your forum to answer questions: Even if you don’t ask people to engage with you directly, the presence you maintain on the forum may encourage them to. You may not have a choice in keeping up with conversations and providing answers, so this can take up your time.
- Invite people to engage: If you do plan to take direct questions from your customers, remember that you may be creating a lot of extra work for yourself
- Enter a conversation later: What if customers are providing wrong advice to others? You may feel compelled to jump in, which is fine but be sure that you feel ready to be a teacher along with being a forum moderator.
Regardless of how much you want to participate in forum conversations, maintaining a forum takes work and time. Only add one to your website if you’re ready for this commitment.